Thursday, February 28, 2008

Great Vintage Pieces coming....

I am so excited! When I was browsing around Etsy, some time last week I came across a shop who sells vintage brooches, buttons, earrings and things of that nature. Well, I made a few purchases today! I can’t wait to get them and start making new ‘vintage’ pieces! Every since I changed of a friend of mines grandma’s brooch into a necklace, it just made me want to recycle, reuse, bring life to a new piece.

When I first started out as a jewelry maker, I never thought I would be at the level I am now. And when I am talking about level, I mean giving myself the opportunity to explore new media, not just a strand of beads.

I was reading this blog, Art Junk Girl, well she is exploring painting right now. And her entry today made so much sense to me. When I was in college I was an art major but as soon as I started down that path, I quickly changed my course of direction to Art History Major, Studio Art Minor. I had a hard time coming up with ideas for all the different projects I had to finish! I did take a painting class, and the instructor did give us inspiration, or an assignment to fulfill. Well, let’s just say that the 2 pretty large size painting I did are now hanging in my parent’s garage! Is that good? I’m really impressed that they are hanging anywhere!
I still have my oil paints, water colors, charcoal pencils, pastels, you name it I have it. I can’t throw it out. And I have been out of college for quite sometime. It’s funny how I can never come up with something to paint or create. So, I just sum it up that the paints will always be there for me, when I’m ready to pick up the paint brush for the umpteenth time! For now I will work on my passion, creating jewelry. The funny thing, my 12 years I spent in the fashion industry, I only made a handful of pieces I could actually wear to work.
I can’t really say this entry had a lot to say, but I know I got a lot out of it!

No comments: